Category Archives: Linux/Unix

Setting up ssh key-pair with different name than id_rsa

I have had got a id_rsa key in my local machine which I used to connect to github. Now I wanted another keypair so that I could connect to bitbucket repository and another one for the digitalocean vps server.

For my DigitalOcean server I created a new key-pair using ssh-keygen and named it do_rsa so that it created two keys, do_rsa and do_rsa.pub, private and public key respectively.

Now the issue is if I try to connect using:

ssh root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

it gives Permission denied(publickey) error. This is because by default ssh client tries to read the id_rsa key pair values which is not the correct one. Actually I had assumption that my local ssh client would read all files in .ssh folder but this was not the case perhaps.

To make it work correctly we need to specify the correct private keyfile for the given IP address I have had for my digitalocean server. We can do it by creating a config file in the .ssh folder

So here is the content of the config file in .ssh folder

Host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	IdentityFile ~/.ssh/do_rsa

After saving it I tried root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and it worked like a charm!

Creating new virtual host while using Xampp in Ubuntu (Linux)

I need this stuff quite often. Every time i need to create a new virtual host in Ubuntu i have to google/search to find this solution as i cannot remember these paths properly. I am posting it here for quick reference for myself. Bookmark it for yourself (which i am going to do after i have finished posting it ;)) Continue reading

Broken jEdit FTP plugin fix after upgrading Ubuntu release

Just a note:

After upgrading my Ubuntu machine to latest Ubuntu 12.04 LTS version my preferred code editor started to have issues. I opened it as normal and it showed me 3 FTP connection windows at once and after closing these windows when i tried to launch a FTP profile from bookmarks it didn’t work and kept saying the “Already running command error”. I thought i needed to re-install the jEdit (the upgrade actually re-stalled the latest release of jEdit while upgrading) and tried a re-install but it did not fix anything. Then i removed the FTP plugin of jEdit and re-installed it and hurray, it works!