I am using KUbuntu 11.04 right now and today i tried to install CheckGMail and make it working. After entering correct login username(email address) and password it kept me showing “401 unauthorized request” error next to the Notifier icon in task bar along with a “Incorrect username and/or password” dialog box.
In particular, if you need help with installing, configuring & troubleshooting CheckGMail check the second link above.
If you need help with creating a start up command for CheckGMail in KUbuntu, please continue reading.
To create start up command in KUbuntu
- Goto System Settings > Startup & Shutdown and under Autostart tab click Add Program.
- Select Internet > CheckGMail program icon and click OK.
- Enter a name i.e.
CheckGMailunder General Tab.
- Under Application tab enter
checkgmailin Command field. In fact, this field should already be populated with
checkgmailvalue in it.
(NOTE: If you face “Incorrect username and/or password” problem even after applying solution given at those two sites mentioned above you will need to add
checkgmail(separated with space) in Command field to make it
checkgmail -no_cookiein the startup as well.)
- Right click Gmail icon on Task bar panel and click Preferences.
- In “Command to execute on new mail” field enter full path to your sound clip file which you want to play when a new email arrives. For example, to play soundclip.wav in /home/tcros folder just type
aplay /home/tcros/soundclip.wavand save by clicking Ok.
Following the method above when you start your system next time it should load CheckGMail automatically.
To play a sound on arrival of new email