I tried to enable “show hidden files and folder” option in my window xp but after clicking “apply” and “ok” when i returned back to the folder to view hidden files it did not show the hidden files. I tried once again and then again but it did not work. The changes would just disappear upon opening the dialog again. It was probably some virus attack after which the Windows registry was not being updated properly. I googled to resolve the problem and found the following methods to restore the registry back.
Go to registry editor by running regedit in the run box.
Go to this key:
In the right hand area, double click hidden and change the value to 1.
Now you’re all set to go. Check it in your tools menu if the changes have taken effect.
Method 2: (By Random Hajile)
1. Click “Start” -> “Run…” (or press Windows key + R)
2. Type “regedit” and click “Ok”.
3. Find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
4. Look at the “CheckedValue” key… This should be a DWORD key. If it isn’t, delete the key.
5. Create a new key called “CheckedValue” as a DWORD (hexadecimal) with a value of 1.
6. The “Show hidden files & folders” check box should now work normally.
(My DefaultValue was changed to 2 (by some virus?) i changed it back to 0 and changed CheckedValue to 1 and it worked!!)
If none of the above methods work, please download Smart Virus Remover from here:
Show Hidden Files and Folders not working? Smart Virus Remover (625.9 KiB, 200,361 hits)
Using this Virus Remover please restore your Windows settings and your show hidden files and folders will be set to default.
Hope this helps!
Hello Friends, I’m Arvind Kumar, founder of Inimist Technologies, Inimist Academy, The Fundabook and many more. I am a Full Stack Web Developer and Programmer by heart, and a Hindi/English blogger by chance. I build Web and Mobile Application around React, VueJS, NodeJS and PHP frameworks.
Have a project in mind? Get in touch